In This Article
The Apple Watch is an amazing piece of technology. With the 18Birdies Apple Watch app, we bring you an easier take on the 18Birdies experience. Now you can score your round, log stats and get distances directly from the watch!
Here are some tips on optimizing your 18Birdies Apple Watch experience!
You will first need the most recent version of the Apple Watch software; watchOS8.
WatchOS 8 is compatible with Apple Watch Series 3 and later and Apple Watch SE. Upgrading to watchOS 8 requires an iPhone 6s or later running iOS 15 or later. Find your Apple Watch model.
Trouble Syncing or Connecting
If your Watch and iPhone device are compatible with the specification mentioned above, our first suggestion is to try logging out of the app on your phone and then log back in.
How To Log Out
- Open the app and tap Me on the bottom menu bar.
- Tap the three white dots in the upper right corner
- Scroll down and tap App Settings
- Scroll down and tap Log Out.
You should then be taken to the sign-in screen.
Log Back In
- On the sign-in screen, tap 'Already have an account? Log In'
- Tap Log in with Email.
If your account does not have an email linked, use the phone verification method.
- Enter the email your account is registered to and the corresponding password
- Tap Log In.
Need to Know Info
- Depending on the SKU (wifi-only or cellular + wifi), you will need to keep your phone within 10 yards of your watch to maintain the data stream for optimal performance - A back or bag pocket will work!
- As you enter scores and stats on your Apple Watch, your phone will update in parallel.
- Currently, 18Birdies for Apple Watch doesn't have a "Complication". If you would like to see one, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting up 18Birdies on the Apple Watch
- On your iPhone, open the Watch application
- Scroll down to view the list of applications that are installed on your phone.
- If you don't see 18Birdies listed under Installed on Apple Watch, scroll down to find Available Apps.
- Tap Install next to 18Birdies.
- On the "My Watch" app on your iPhone, navigate to "General" to configure your watch hardware settings to optimize your watch for use with 18Birdies. Make sure that:
- Within "Background App Refresh", toggle the first-row and 18Birdies buttons to be ON
- Within "Wake Screen"->"On Screen Wake Show Last App" is set to "Within 1 hour of Last Use".
- Within "On Tap", set to "Wake for 70 seconds"
- "Workout Power Saving Mode" is turned OFF
- If you're having trouble starting
a roundon your watch, completely close and then restart 18Birdies on your phone then restart the "Starting a Round" process below:
Starting a Round
It may take a few moments for round information to load or update on your watch.
- From your Apple Watch, open 18Birdies watch app.
You should see a prompt to "Start a new round on your phone to begin". (screenshot below) Open the Play tab on your 18Birdies iPhone App. Check that the course info displaying matches the course you want to play
- From the Play tab on your 18Birdies iPhone app, select "Start Round".
- Complete the Start Round details on your iPhone.
- Tap "Play" on your iPhone
If you've confirmed that your watch and phone are synced, but the watch app remains on the "Start a new round on your phone to begin" screen above:
- End the round on your phone by selecting "Exit without Saving"
- Close 18Birdies on your phone while keeping 18Birdies open on your watch
- Relaunch 18Birdies on your phone
- Restart the round on your phone.
Distances, Navigation, Scoring, and Stats
From the Distance screen, you should see three numbers corresponding to the remaining Back, Middle, and Front distances to the gree.
Advancing to Next Hole
From the Distance screen, swipe down to go to the next hole.swipe up to go to the previous hole.
Switch Holes Shortcut
From the Distance screen
- Tap and push (Force Press) the Apple Watch screen until you feel the watch face vibrate.
- Tap Go To Hole
Swipe Right to Enter Strokes for Scores
- From the Strokes screen, tap the + or - button to allocate strokes OR use the scroll wheel on the side of the Apple Watch.
The strokes will start at Par.
- Tap Next Hole to go to the next hole or swipe right to left to enter Stats.
Swipe Right to Enter Stats
- From the Stats screen, tap the respective buttons to enter stats OR use the scroll wheel on the side of the Apple Watch.
- Scroll down to enter more stats.
- Tap Next Hole at the bottom of the Stats screen to go to the next hole.
As an 18Birdies Premium Member, you can now use your Apple Watch with our strokes gained scoring mode!
To edit strokes gained shots after you have entered them on your watch, you must use your phone
1. Set up the round on your phone, open the app on your watch, then select ‘Strokes Gained’ scoring method when prompted
2. Once you start the round and are on the 1st tee box, tap ‘Add Shot 1’ to mark where you will hit your first shot from.
3. Next confirm your distance to the hole, select your lie and club. Then walk or ride to your ball.
4. Once you get to your ball, tap “Add Shot 2” and follow the previous steps to confirm your distance, lie
5. After reaching the green, select “Green” as your lie.
- Adjust the Dist. to Hole to change the length of your putt.
- If you miss the putt, tap ‘Add Another Putt’ to record the putt and start another putt.
- Repeat steps 5A-5B above until you finish the hole. Then tap “Finish Hole”
6. When you finish the hole, you can swipe to the
Finishing a Round
- Tap Resume Scoring to go back to the scoring screens.
- Tap Go To Hole to go back to a hole and edit information.
a roundhas been ended on your Apple Watch, return to the 18Birdies app on your iPhone.
Rounds can only be completed and confirmed from your iPhone.
- Tap Confirm Scorecard on your iPhone to complete the round.